Saturday, December 23, 2006

Christmas Cooking

We will be spending the day at home on Monday, before joining Martin's extended family on Christmas night for celebrations. We were considering an outing (the zoo is open on Christmas day) but decided against it since we're celebrating Christmas eve with Martin's immediate family and we thought we'd get more mileage out of the girls if we had a quiet day at home.
So I am cooking and I think this is actually the first time I've really cooked any kind of meal for Christmas day (I've contributed a plate but not done the whole shebang). I've decided on cold roast duck salad so I can do all the preparation ahead. For dessert, homemade raspberry icecream. I am also going to make a chocolate desert-y thing to take on Monday night - the main ingredients are dark chocolate and cream - how can you go wrong? Because what chocolate needs is cream, I've always said so. It also has pistacios in it. Classy. From the Donna Hay magazine, and I always have to say Donna Hay with a Kath and Kim twang.
The duck salad will be some kind of invention, but it will include a dressing with pomegranate molasses - a recent purchase because bill grainger's (he doesn't like capital B) tabbouleh was frankly boring without it and, it turns out, is inspiring with it. It has become my ingredient of choice for all salads, tart and sweet - it's great for kids. I was thinking a fruit too, to undercut the gaminess and fattiness of the duck - figs perhaps, or oranges.
When I am going to do this cooking I am not quite sure - I like to cook meals and I have a good instinct for food but I've never been big on cooking fancy. My energy levels are low - I don't know if it's the time of year or if I'm coming down with something (we went to a play centre the other day - for those of you without children a play centre is an indoor park type thing with lattes that you take your children to if you want them to get sick - and I said to Martin 'where's Una?' and he said 'over there, playing with the child with the spots' - eek). Anyway, as much as I love food and presents I am looking forward to Christmas being over and done with. I wish I didn't feel this way, I wish Christmas retained more magic than that, but there you go.
And then Boxing day is Martin's 35th birthday and the next day is my 32nd birthday. Talk about the season that is silly.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:02 PM

    I think it is a very good idea for you to have Christmas at home. I can only remember us having one Xmas meal by ourselves. It was 1984 I think. Grandad was still alive and Nic's mob had all gone to King Island. I know we started with Gazpacho and had all the little bowls of extras to add. I'd hazard a guess that we followed that with cold chicken, ham and salads but don't remember. We sat at the huon pine table. I know our sweet was your current favourite strawberries in the snow. You and Kylie were never big on Xmas pud. At the end of the day we went over to Mornington to see Mum and Dad. It was really special to have Christmas at home and eat and drink a little less than when there are lots of people. The kids will love it and they get time to play as well.

    We're off to the Turners so Elaine will have prepared something great. Ella and Charles will be there this year.

    I'm sure your meal will be excellent. I've been keeping one eye on the end of Iron Chef America. One of the American chef's meals had duck prepared with pomegranate.

    Have a lovely Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:43 AM

    Noice (with K& K upward inflection, of course).

    We only do one meal out on Christmas day if I can help it. Your meal sounds lovely. Have a bottle of pomegranate molasses (I think) up on the shelf that I've never known what to do with. All inspired now.

    Love boxing day. Lots of doing nothing. At all. Have a good one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Xmas & Happy Birthdays!!
    We had a very quiet Xmas. My Dad's ½ of the family were all away this year and it was nice to not have to rush presents and then out the door for a change! Thinking of doing it again next year, maybe see people on Xmas eve then boxing day for repective families. Least Jack's family is overseas so all we have to do is call them!!
    Baby screaming must dash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy birthday for today nellup!!! hope you have a special day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. bugger, that should be me, brazen, not my tw account :-S

    ReplyDelete